Webhooks are a great way to receive real time events to a url endpoint based on the use cases you require.
We require that you use a https web server for your endpoint. Zapier (webhooks) and other similar services offer endpoints for webhooks that you can use or you can develop your own. Make sure it has at least SSL encryption.
Adding a default Webhook
Once you have set up the endpoint for the webhooks, copy the url and go to the Webhooks section of the platform. Click create a new webhook. The simplest is just a global webhook that sends all events.
URL end points need to be unique. Two webhooks cannot have the same url - but it can be different sub directories of a url.
There are 5 kinds of events of webhooks:
- Network Logs - When a SIM registers, authenticates or de-registers to a network.
- Data usage - per SIM is updated every 15 minutes of activity or when a SIM de-registers from a network.
- Device SMS - when a device sends a SMS to any number.
- SMS usage - separately for both outgoing and ingoing
- Location (approximate) - of a SIM at the beginning and end of a session and when the location changes during a session.
Editing a webhook
It is easy to also edit a webhook. When the webhook changes have been saved, the webhook will change and the new update will come into effect.
Customizing Webhooks for use cases
IoT deployments can quickly become large. Receiving all events for all SIMs and altering it on the backend requires developer time and resources. Taking advantage of Tags, webhooks can be customized for specific uses.
Some of the many examples we have already heard:
- tracking network-logs in a test country
- catching SMS error codes from a legacy device
- monitoring events of a development kit to help monitor how it is functioning
- mapping location events of a specific product
What is the data being sent?
You can find more information on the data structure for the different events in the webhooks section of the documentation.
If you have any further questions, you are welcome to send to email@example.com.